Thursday, April 23, 2009

Long ago it must be, I have a photograph. Preserve your memories, they're all thats left you....Simon and Garfunkel


I walked down memory lane today as I visited a place I lived over 30 years ago.  Although my stay in Honeyoe Falls, New York was fairly brief, it took place during a period of disquiet in my life.  A young single mother, I struggled to balance the needs of a 4 year old while working full time and attempting to realize my own goals.   I remember periods of chaos; the car not starting on a cold winter morning; the snow storm that resulted in my arrival at the day care center over an hour late finding my child sitting alone in a room with her snow suit on.  The additional charge for my tardiness stung, but not nearly much as the image of my child fearing she had been forgotten.  Yet I also remember a periods of quiet reflection.

 So when I had  spare time on a recent visit back to New York, I turned the car south and drove the country roads.  Of course, there were some wrong turns, but soon I found myself in the center of town close to the spot I would often sit in quiet reflection.  The town remains the sleepy village it was all those years ago, much to my surprise.  I find that it is the sort of place I would still want to live.  The realization that my choices weren't always inappropriate was rewarding.  


No comments:

A Photographic Journey